วันเสาร์ที่ 16 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Travel and accommodation

For my flight, I booked it with Tiger airways. Cost: approx S$150

It's a straight flight from Singapore to Hat Yai.

It is not necessary to bring a whole bunch of cash to Hat Yai. There is a Great Eastern bank and personally, I withdrew money from a DBS atm machine. I have a POSB bankcard, thus, a service fee of 150 THB was charged.

So when I arrive at Hat Yai, I took a mini bus (booth located right outside the airport). The mini bus is shared with 7 other people, who also got their tickets at the booth.

The cost is 80 THB compared to a taxi which is 300 THB. I took the mini bus as I did not want to be alone with a driver in a foreign place.

The hotel I am staying in is New Season Hotel (3*).

The cost is about S$45 per night. And it is very close to Lee Garden Plaza hotel and the clinics are a walkable distance.

A description of the hotel which I booked and paid online in advance via (Agoda.com)...

The reception service is decent. The room and bed look clean. Except the furniture is kinda old and the once cream walls are dirty. I have many ants in my room. The theme of the room I got is sort of reddish, which takes some getting used to...  I should have asked for a non-smoking floor. Because the room reeked of cigarette smoke that is still wafting in the air after living here for a few days. However, the toilet is big, bright and clean.

Since I'm here alone, I have left the lights and TV on every night and day, works well for me. There are english and mandarin channels. Wifi works alright, just got to get the password from the reception. They have asked for my passport when I checked in, but I refused to hand it over since I think I can safeguard it.

I haven't been out seeing the city a lot, since everything is foreign for me. Though, I found out that, it's better to try speaking in mandarin than english when talking to vendors. Plus smiling helps.

When you're on the road, motorbikes and tuk tuks will honk at you. I'm guessing it's their way of getting customers.

Note that some shops (including the clinics) required you to take off your shoes before entering.

Food here is rather cheap, you can get a meal for like 40 THB. Fruit carts and food carts are common. The fancier intercontinental restaurants are located at Lee Garden Plaza. Lee Gardens Plaza is a rather small mall but it has a cinema that if you're lucky at one time, has an english movie. Central (above Novotel hotel) has got a more upmarket supermarket. There are 7-elevens around. Food outlets selling bird nests, halal, vegetarian food...After my surgeries, I preferred to stock-up on food items in the hotel as I am a lil bit paranoid that my surgical wounds may get infected when I go outside. Which by the way, I will wear a face mask and 2 shower caps. Because I cannot wash my hair for 5 days until I get the stitches out of my ears and nose. So 1 shower cap to cover my hair, another shower cap to protect my ears. I looked so funny and don't belong outside anyway. haha.

My favourite food here is thai milk tea and mango with glutinous rice (purchased from a cart outside Dr Chi's). Try to cut down on salty food to prevent increased water retention that does not help with the swelling.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น